A physician wanting to apply for locum coverage needs to complete the following steps:
2. Submit a completed application form for GP Locum or Specialist Locum, to the MSI Locum Coordinator. Notification regarding approval/denial will be sent within 2 working days to the locum physician and the host physician or host DHA Chief of Staff / VP of Medicine. Please ensure the locum application form is completed in full including the three letter submitter ID.
If approved, the locum physician needs to complete the following:
1. Submit a completed MSI Provider Business Arrangement Form and void cheque to the MSI Provider Coordinators, if your banking information is not on file with MSI.
If the locum physician chooses the guaranteed daily rate as the preferred payment option, the locum physician will receive a locum shadow billing business arrangement (BA) number from MSI if a locum shadow billing BA number has not already been assigned. The shadow billing BA number is to be used to submit shadow billings. Payment through the Provincial Locum Program can only be provided where the locum physician has obtained a locum shadow billing arrangement number.
2. Submit a completed GP Specialist Locum Claim Form to the MSI Locum Coordinator for payment at the end of the locum, or on a weekly basis. Please use the Psychiatry Locum Claim Form for a psychiatry locum. The claim form will be verified by MSI for payment. Payment for locum services is subject to receipt of shadow billings.
3. If the minimum daily guarantee option is chosen, rather than FFS, you can apply for a ‘top up’ payment 30 days after the locum is completed if you believe services provided exceed the value of the guaranteed daily rate over the course of the locum. A ‘reconciliation’ of payment can be requested by contacting the MSI Locum Coordinator.
A Physician wanting to apply for reimbursement of mileage based on providing Locum coverage at Emergency Departments in Nova Scotia should complete the following steps:
1. Verify your eligibility by referring to the Department of Health and Wellness’ Emergency Department Mileage Claim Policy.
2. Submit a completed ED Mileage Claim Form to the MSI Locum Coordinator for payment at the end of the locum. The claim form will be verified by MSI for payment.
If you have any questions, please contact us:
MSI Locum Coordinator
Medavie Blue Cross
Local Phone: 902-496-7011
Local Fax: 902-496-3060
Toll-Free Fax: 1-855-350-3060
Email: [email protected]
MSI Provider Coordinators
Local Fax: 902-469-4674
Toll Free Fax: 1-877-910-4674
Email: [email protected]
The Locum Incentive Program was introduced in July 2018 to provide incentives for locums working in Northern, Eastern and Western zones. The program provides an incentive payment to physicians who provide locum coverage to address pending or immediate service delivery challenges. Effective April 1, 2022 Medavie Bluecross has assumed the role of administrator for all payments eligible under the Locum Incentive Program. The application process will also be administered by Medavie Bluecross effective April 18, 2022. Applications are initiated directly by Nova Scotia Health. For more information please contact [email protected] or by telephone 902-496-7011.